Last Updated: June 15, 2018
We use your Personal Information only for providing and improving the Site. By using the Site, you agree to the collection and use of information in accordance with this policy.
Collection of Personal Information
Personal Information is information about you that identifies you as an individual, for example, your name, address, e-mail address, or telephone number.
Your privacy is very important to us and we are committed to ensuring that at Backsplash your privacy is respected. We adhere to these fundamental principles:
• We do not collect personal information without explicitly stating the purpose of collecting it. In the cases when we do ask for your personal information, we only ask for details which we truly need in connection to the operation of this Site and providing the services offered through or in conjunction with this Site. For example, when you wish to open a user account at our Site or sign up for our newsletter, we ask you to provide your full name and email address, and confirmation that you have reached the age of majority.
• We don’t share your personal information with anyone, except to comply with the law, develop our services/products, or protect our rights.
• We don’t store personal information on our servers unless required for the on-going operation of one of our services.
• We don’t collect or store credit card information on our servers. In cases when you engage in transactions with Backsplash – by purchasing our services, for example – any personal information of a financial nature such as credit card number, expiration date, and security code will be collected directly by our payment gateway provider PayPal. We do not have access, nor can we ever see such financial information.
• Visitors can always refuse to supply personally-identifying information, with the caveat that it may prevent them from engaging in certain website-related activities.
Gathering of Browser-Level Information
Like most website operators, Backsplash collects non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, exit pages, platform type, and the date and time of each visitor request. Our purpose in collecting non-personally identifying information is to better understand how visitors use the Site. From time to time, We may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of the Site.
Use of Personal Information
We may use your personal information to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected from you. For example, in the case when it was collected in connection with:
• setting up your business listing account, we may use it to provide our services to you, identify you as an owner of the account and the representative of the business you requested us to list in our business directory, send you administrative, transactional, or legal messages, respond to your inquiries, and/or other requests or questions you may have. Please note that you cannot opt out from receiving such correspondence while your account is active. If you do not want to receive messages described above please login into your account and close your account.
• receiving your email with an inquiry, we may use it to respond to your inquiries or send you requested information.
• receiving your request to join one of our mailing lists, we may use it to send you our newsletter, business offers promotions, or other relevant to the specific mailing list information. You may at any time opt-out from receiving future offers and promptly be removed from the relevant distribution list simply by clicking on the opt-out hyperlink provided in each of the emails we send to you.
Disclosure of Information
We will not disclose personal information that you provide us to any third parties except:
a) only to those of our agents, contractors, website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our Site, conducting our business, or servicing you that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on our behalf or to provide services available at Backsplash Site, and (ii) that have agreed to keep this information confidential and use it in accordance with this statement and for the purposes for which it was shared with them. Some of our contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of Canada. Please note that they may, therefore, be subject to different privacy laws than those applicable in Canada; by using Backsplash Site, you consent to the transfer of such information to them, or
b) to comply with the law in response to a subpoena, court order or other governmental requests, or
c) when Backsplash believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Backsplash, third parties or the public at large.
However, we may provide any non-personally identifiable visitor information to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
If you send us a request (for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users.
What is a cookie?
A cookie [aboutcookies.org] is a string of information that a website stores on a visitor’s computer, that enables the site’s or service provider’s systems to recognize visitor’s browser and capture and remember certain information.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. You can choose to have your computer perform this automatically for you. This can be done through your browser settings. Please note that should you choose to decline cookies, some features of our Site may be disabled and/or you may be unable to access some of its parts.
Third Party Services
We may also use Third Party Service Providers to serve advertisements on our Site. These Third Party Service Providers may place cookies on your browser computer and may use action tags such as single pixel gifs or web beacons to monitor the effectiveness of their advertising efforts. They may also collect certain anonymous browser-level information (as described in “Gathering of Browser-Level Information” section of this document) about your visits to certain pages of the Site or other websites on the Internet in order to measure web traffic, advertisement “click-throughs”, and/or other activities on our Site and compile statistics reports.
We do not specifically market to children under 13 and we do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children nor do we allow them to become registered users of, or to request information through, our Sites. The Site is intended for general audiences only composed of individuals who are at least 13 years old.
We strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information against the unauthorized access, use, theft, alteration or destruction. However, as we all know, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we make no warranties as to the absolute security of any personal information we receive from you online. You submit your personal information to us at your own risk.
By using this Site, you consent to the collection and use of information as outlined in the above documentation.